Friday 17 February 2017

I am Possible with Natty Goleniowska


(Written with help from my Mum Hayley)

I am Natty and I’m ten years old.

I like horse-riding, watching films, singing and dancing. My favourite thing is having a friend for a sleep-over and swimming in the warm sea. I have a big sister called Mia and 2 Chihuahuas. I’m also a model and love going on TV. Sometimes I talk to student midwives and doctors.

I have Down’s syndrome and I am beautiful.

I am possible.


What inspires Natty?

We all have a lot to learn from Natty. She truly lives in the moment, and lives each day to the full. She treats everyone as an equal, no matter how famous they are she will still blow them a raspberry if she feels like it!

Natty has had to overcome obstacles in life, such as heart surgery when she was 2 years old and she needs a bit of extra support and effort to learn to do some things. But she goes through life joking and making new friends wherever she goes – most of the time. She does have her moments like the rest of us.

Natty adores the simple things in life. Not many children do an impromptu song and dance when they find their favourite cake in the shop.

What are Natty’s dreams for the future?

She would say to go on X Factor. I would say for her to lead as independent a life as possible with support. To get a job, live with friends or a partner, maybe get married one day. To enjoy all the same things as any other young person.

Tell us a little about being a model – you were one of the first models in the UK with a disability - what does this mean to you?
Natty was 4 years old when she first began to model and made her first live TV appearance on ITV Daybreak. In a way it has always been a part of her life every since and she takes it in her stride. She thinks that modelling is just fun, dressing up and playing with new friends. Her feet are firmly on the ground.
To me and other families with children with additional needs the symbol of children like Natty modelling is one of greater inclusion, of us all wanting to see ourselves represented in the media, of all children having worth. Natty she just squeals with excitement when she sees her face in print or on a poster.

Who is your role model and why?
Natty loves Little Mix like many little girls, but she also looks up to incredible women such as Sarah Gordy, who is an actress with Down’s syndrome, or Karen Gaffney who swam the English Channel and does public speaking. She also has the condition.

Please finish this sentence: I am possible because…
I see no limits.
Natty is unaware of the boundaries others set on what she can do because of her condition. She works tirelessly to achieve whatever she sets her heart on, and breaks down barriers and busts myths in the process.

Why do you like Isossy Children and how does it make you feel when you wear Isossy Children clothes (if you have worn them)?
I love the patterns. I think the Isossy dresses look really different and unusual, definitely clothes for girls with attitude! Natty likes to stand out in a crowd.

What words of wisdom do you think every child should grow up knowing?

You are unique. You are special. You are loved.

My Mum Hayley blogs about our family at Downs Side Up and she tweets and shares our pictures on Instagram @DownsSideUp too. We sometime do Facebook Live films as well, and lots of children watch with their parents https://www.facebook.com/downssideup/
My sister Mia and My mum wrote a book called I Love You Natty for children.



Share

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for inviting Natty to be a part of your wonderful I Am Possible series. It is so important to celebrate everyone for who they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natty is an amazing girl and I love her positive attitude and the way she has embraced the opportunities that have come her way - and it's great that she has had those opportunities as a way of breaking down barriers. I loved reading this!
    #SSAmazingAchievements

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natty is beautiful and amazing. I admire her spirit and love of life and I really hope all her dreams come true. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, happy, positive interview from Natty, it's really lovely to read and see how she is breaking down barriers just by being herself, by being optimistic about her future and not accepting to be kept behind barriers. Best of luck in everything you do, Natty - I just know you'll do well, whatever you do!
    #ssamazingachievements

    PS - loving the yellow swim cossie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natty is an amazing girl, I enjoyed reading her interview. I love her words of wisdom. I must remember to say those to my son #SSAmazingAchievements

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the title of this series. This is a lovely positive interview that says so much about Natty and the wonderful character she has. Thank you Hayley for linking this up with #SSAmazingAchievements

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice information about kids in this article.eduqaan.com

    ReplyDelete