Friday 25 October 2013

Isossy Children meets the author of "I'm Proud To Be Natural Me!"

In this Isossy Children profile we meet Marlene Dillon, author of "I'm Proud To Be Natural Me" a great book for young girls celebrating self-identity and beauty.  Read on and be inspired!
 What inspired you to start your business?
Necessity inspired me to create I'm Proud to Be Natural Me! It has bothered me for many years (since I was in high school if I recall) the way that people of color, in particular, assess value based on skin shades and hair textures. I wanted to present a healthy perspective to children that we are ALL beautiful. My hustle to produce numerous products in a short time was due to my need to provide for my child as a suddenly single mom.




What have been your favourite client experiences?
My most powerful experience was recently as I spoke to a group of 4th grade girls at a school on Chicago's Southside. I realized in that moment how powerful the message I was sent to share is as a beautiful dark-skinned sweetheart said, "I used to believe I was ugly, but now I know I am beautiful."









What advice would you give to someone starting up in your industry?
I would tell a new author or one who desires to self-publish to "begin with the end in mind" and to take it a step at a time. I believe a lot of missteps happen and time is wasted by not having a vision of the end product. Once you can see what you want to create, go back to step one. Always ask yourself, "What do I need to do next?" That way you're less likely to get stuck and overwhelmed. Like my sister says, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

What are your long term goals?
Long-term I would like to write more books, giving each of the characters (the Natural Me! girls) an identity and story of her own. I am also returning to school to get my master's in mental health counselling as being a life coach and motivational speaker are two other forms that I desire to utilize to inspire others.


Isossy Children celebrates diversity through global clothing for children. Why do you think diversity matters for every generation?
Diversity has always been a part of my life as my parents are Jamaican. I naturally am drawn to people with different accents, I love to hear of their culture and experiences. I believe diversity makes for a richer experience of life.


What words of wisdom do you think every child should grow up knowing?
I believe that every child should know that they are an intentional choice of the Creator. That they are amazing, creative, intelligent, capable and beautiful creations of God. That each has a talent, gift, blessing and strength to share with the world and that no matter what anyone ever says to them, they must know for themselves that they are amazing, valuable, and worthy.

Contact Details:
- improudtobenaturalme@yahoo.com
- @mdillondesigns7 on Twitter
- www.facebook.com/improudtobenaturalme
- http://improudtobenaturalme.com


Share

No comments:

Post a Comment