Friday 5 April 2013

Isossy Children meets Fresh Kid Nation

We first met Shauna of Fresh Kid Nation at our Bloggers and Press Day in New York in March. Here we find out what inspired Shauna to start her business.

What inspired you to start your business?

I have been a costume designer and seamstress since I graduated from Syracuse University in 2006. I started designing children costumes in 2009 right after my son was born. I realized that I was able to bring my baby to rehearsals and meetings so continued working only with children. While shopping for costumes I began asking kids where do they shop or and noticed that each kid had a unique style. I decided to write a fashion blog that focused on children's wear companies,
celebrity kids style and upcoming trends in kids fashion. Fresh Kid Nation is a website that celebrates stylish kids from around the world.

What have been your favourite client experiences?

It's amazing that I have worked with so many different people! I have worked with non-profits,schools and large companies in New York City. I remember writing a blog about my spring break experience for MTV in 2006. I was given VIP passes for my friends and we went to all the nightclubs, parties and even had backstage access to meet the celebrities. It was the best writing job I ever had.
The most rewarding experience I have had was last summer working part time as an Summer Teacher in Brooklyn. My students created a blog and Tumblr about the camp and we received a phone call and email from the Deputy Commissioner of New York City's Youth Development office. It was an honor to be recognized by a high ranking individual.

What advice would you give to someone starting up in your industry?

Please don't be afraid to intern and do lots of research. The key to longevity is being knowledgeable about the industry, making connections and being nice.

What are your long term goals?

I will be completing a master's degree in Education until 2014. I eventually would like to develop the Blog into a major Urban children's fashion source and continue to design children's costumes. I know I will also establish a non-profit organization for art.

Isossy Children celebrates diversity through global clothing for
children. Why do you think diversity matters for every generation?

In order to grow as individual, one must be willing to learn about different ethnic groups, religions and cultures. The world would be a better place in general if we as a society take the time to understand each other instead of passing judgements.

What words of wisdom do you think every child should grow up knowing?

Be kind to others and love yourself because your are beautiful!


Contact Details


Shauna Carr
Children's Costume Designer and Blogger
www.freshkidnation.com
freshkidnation@gmail.com
Brooklyn N.Y.C.
1(347)240-4754
twitter and instagram @freshkidnation
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment